Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Shofar... So Good

Our final class was this Monday night on shofar blowing. It seems like it just started three weeks ago, which it did, but now its done until a few months time. I have tried so many times to blow shofar on my own but i have never been able to, and if there is one thing that's holding me back from learning, it's the fact that i haven't found anyone willing to teach me how. That's all changed, and i was really motivated to get started and although my skill set was non-existent, i still went into the classes internally motivated, hoping that i would come out of it knowing at least a little more about how to blow shofar than i did going in, simply because this is a big part of my heritage and religion that i owe it to myself to learn more about it. I also never realized how much is involved in learning. I thought it just meant putting the shofar to your lips and blowing air, but there is a right/wrong way to hold it to your lips and it can hurt sometimes, especially when you are trying to find the perfect spot that makes a good sound. It really was a great few classes where I learnt alot, and hopefully the skills and information i got are things that I can use during the High Holidays next year. I definitely realized that i was able to engage in this as leisure even if my skill set was low or almost non-existent, because the internal drive and motivation was there from the get go.

No comments: